[ODE] Dem and Heightfield

Justin Couch justin at vlc.com.au
Thu Aug 17 10:05:14 MST 2006

Tristan McMillan wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has ever integrated DEM data with the
> dHeightfield class. As I'm trying to take .vrml data or .dem data from
> vtterrain and generate a heightfield of this?

Yes, and it takes quite a lot of work to do so. There's also a lot of
other things to consider that are directly related to what you're doing
with the application. For example, are you only rendering one DEM at a
time, or are you doing some sort of dynamic terrain rendering algorithm
(e.g. ROAM, CLOD) where you're paging in heights from a large collection
of data.

Firstly real earth data is in double precision and represents values on
the surface of the earth (ie non-local values). You need to end up
generating a local origin and translate the earth-based values into a
local reference frame. Effectively this reduces you from double to
single precision values. It also brings numbers back into line with
something that ODE can handle. The bigger numbers get away from 1.0, the
less accurate ODE becomes.

The next problem is that, being real world elevation data, the origin is
based on the lower left corner. ODE doesn't use that, so you'll also
need to apply an extra set of offsets to translate into ODE's way of
thinking. If you're doing dynamic terrain rendering, that's going to be
a pretty major performance hit as you have to calculate these all every
frame. The collision libraries down the bottom of ODE don't deal well
with dynamically changing data. If you can do the collision detection
outside of ODE, you'll get some significant performance increases (in
one case we got an order of magnitude faster speed on the basic
collision detection).

--
Justin Couch                         http://www.vlc.com.au/~justin/
Java Architect & Bit Twiddler              http://www.yumetech.com/