[ODE] Increasing number of particales changes physics

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Thu Aug 10 09:00:32 MST 2006

You sound like you're using a variable step size dependant on frame rate?

Don't do that, you've got to use a static step size.  When you change
the step size, the effects of all forces applied within the system
change too.  Except without a fixed step size, you have no idea what
your next step will be, and so your sim will always be at least a
little inconsistent.

On 8/10/06, Jacob Ole Juul Kolding <dacobi at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm implementing a particle system in ODE and have encountered the problem
> that when the number of particles increase the physics change in the the way
> the even though the same force is applied, the more particles are in the
> simulation the longer they will travel.
>
> My guess is that since i step the world each frame, when the frame rate
> drops the step time increase which changes the outcome of the simulation?
>
> Anyone have an idea how to help this problem?
>
> /Jacob Kolding

-Megan Fox
Idyllon, LLC
http://shalinor.circustent.us/megan/resume/