[ODE] Assembling Bodies

STenyaK (Bruno Gonzalez) stenyak at gmx.net
Tue Apr 18 14:08:45 MST 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:56:57 +0200, Jaap Stolk <jwstolk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I still think it would be nicer if you could replace the two bodies
> with a single body. that would also make the simulation more
> efficient. Do you need to connect and disconnect the bodies a lot? as

I'm concerned about fixed joints not being recommended for releases, but
only for debuggin. I plan on using fixed joints for a car simulator i'm
working on. The idea is to keep track of forces/torques acting on the
fixed joints, so that if they reach a threshold (for some time), they
break and bodies are detached.

For example, scrathing a wall could make a side-mounted camera to fall
 from the car. Or crashing into a wall could make the front bumper fall to
the ground. Etc.

If the bodies are connected by "merging" them together, there's no way to
find out what torques/forces act on each of the bodies, right? So i think
my only solution would be to use fixed joints and separate bodies.

What's the reason for fixed joints not being recommended? Has anybody
faced a problem like this before? Any ideas how to approach the issue?

Thanks in advance!

--
Saludos,
     STenyaK