[ODE] dBodySetRotation - representing reflection

Peter Krcah krcap1am at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 02:23:21 MST 2006

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a robot with two identical arms placed symmetrically
on its body. Somewhere in the process of construction I need to set rotation
of a body using a matrix which has a reflection component (so its det=-1).
However, when I do this and run the simulation, the rotations get completely
messed up.

At first I thought the problem was caused by quaternion normalization in
dBodySetRotation function. So I commented out the normalization part, but
the results didn't change. My second guess is, that the problem is somewhere
in the function converting matrix to quaternion...

My question is: What is the best way (if any), to set body's rotation to a
matrix with a reflection component? Can ODE work with such "rotations" at
all?

Regards,
Peter Krcah