[ODE] Ball and Socket or (Universal +Hinge)

Jaap Stolk jwstolk at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 13:04:20 MST 2006

On 4/9/06, Jaap Stolk <jwstolk at gmail.com> wrote:
> form what i can see, i have two options:
> -Ball and Socket joint
> -Universal joint + extra Hinge for rotation

I have coded the first option: Ball and Socket joint + a Angular Motor
to get the angles and set the torque for each of the 3 axes.

I get a "NOT IMPLEMENTED" error for the dJointGetAMotorAngleRate() function.
(I use a dAMotorUser)
In the doc's it is indicated that not enough information is available,
but I don't see the problem, because dJointGetAMotorAngle() is no
problem, and the Rate is based on the same data as the angle isn't it?
I could use a dAMotorEuler, because (for now) all of my axes are
perpendicular. but I prefer to keep things flexible.

I could calculate the AngleRate myself using the current and previous Angle.

What would be the best alternative for dJointGetAMotorAngleRate() ?

Jaap.