[ODE] Kinematic objects

J. Perkins starkos at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 15:44:41 MST 2005

Has anyone tried implementing something like Novodex's "kinematic"
objects in ODE? A kinematic object is a dynamics body that is
controlled by the host application, rather than the simulation. Each
timestep, the app must call setPosition() on the body to move it
around, external forces have no effect. Internally, Novodex computes a
force to move the body to the new position. Any dynamics objects that
are in the path of the object get pushed out of the way.

I was thinking that I might be able to handle this by putting
kinematic objects in their own ODE world. I use a separate world so I
can have zero gravity for kinematic objects, while regular dynamic
objects have a non-zero gravity. All of the collision shapes would go
into one space, but if a body is flagged kinematic it is treated as
static world geometry for the sake of the collision (I would pass NULL
into dJointAttach() instead of the body handle).

Does this sound reasonable? Am I missing anything obvious?

Thanks!

Jason