[ODE] mu = dInfinity, surfaces still slide

Keith Wiley kwiley at cs.unm.edu
Tue Nov 15 16:22:30 MST 2005

With mu set to dInfinity, I would expect a contact joint to allow
absolutey no slide.  This is straight from the docs:

"0 results in a frictionless contact, and dInfinity results in a
contact that never slips."

Other parameters can change this, such as slip1, slip2, and maybe
dContactApprox (I'm not really sure about that one), but I'm not
setting these parameters for the contact in question.  I'm just
setting mu to dInfinity:

	contact[i].surface.mode = dContactMu2;
	contact[i].surface.mu = dInfinity;
	contact[i].surface.mu2 = dInfinity;
	dJointID c = dJointCreateContact (gWorld, gContactGroup, contact+i);
	dJointAttach (c, dGeomGetBody(o1), dGeomGetBody(o2));

I'm not really using mu2 for anything since it's the same as mu (the
default is for mu2 to be mu if there is no mu2 set), but I have to
set SOMETHING in mode, so I use mu2.  At any rate, why would a
contact joint set up as above, slide at all?

Thanks.

Keith Wiley         kwiley at cs.unm.edu         http://www.unm.edu/~keithw

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
                                            --  Galileo Galilei