[ODE] Engineering simulation (cylinders tumbling in rotating cube)

Allan Lim renegade at deakin.edu.au
Mon Nov 14 05:42:42 MST 2005

Hi everyone,

A project I've been asked to consider at work requires simulating a number
of cylindrical tubes (1 - 5) tumbling inside a rotating cork-lined cube.
Essentially, my bosses would me like to find out if there is some means of
maximizing the ratio of collisions involving the sides of the cylinders to
collisions involving the ends of the cylinders by changing the speed at
which the cube rotates or the masses of the cylinders etc.

Could a physics engine like ODE be a suitable starting point for me? If
not, what should I use? My problem is that we are after the greatest
physical realism and numerical accuracy feasible -- real-time or
decent-looking graphics aren't a must, whereas I assume games physics
engines are generally designed with these priorities reversed? I would be
most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. I apologize
if this isn't the appropriate place to ask this question -- my formal
background is in pure math and this would be my first "real" simulation
project. So I am still trying to figure out where to look for resources.

Kind regards,
Allan Lim.