[ODE] Some objects pass through other objects

Bram Stolk bram at sara.nl
Sat Nov 12 01:17:23 MST 2005

Keith Wiley wrote:

> However, when I drop a canonball into the cup of the pendulum, it  falls
> right through the pendulum to the ground as if there is no  collision
> detection going on.  Even weirder, the ball does  successfully collide
> (and rest against) the pendulum sometimes, but  not always.  In
> particular, it falls through the pendulum under two  specified
> circumstances.  One, when the cup of the trebuchet is  resting on the
> ground (so the canonball drops into a cup that is  already at ground
> level, ready for launch).  It passes right through  and rolls away on
> the ground.  Two, if I "trick" it into accepting  the canonball by not
> adding the canonball until a moment *after* I  release the trebuchet (so
> the cup is already moving upwards and no  longer on the ground when the
> canonball is added), then the canonball  gets pushed by the pendulum and
> cup for some of the rotation, but  before the rotation completes, it
> falls through the pendulum (you can  also get the pendulum to "accept"

Wow!
Cool demo!

It works for me (UNSTABLE branch from cvs)
My observations:

1) both cases "cup on grnd", "trick", show proper collisions for sphere.

2) the cup is very jiggly.

3) in one run, I managed to hit the buggy on its roof *grin*
    the buggy then proceeded a bit to the wall. Looked great.

My remarks:

- Try the cvs unstable version to see if it works for you as well

- I don't think your "trick shot" is valid: If you introduce new
   objs, or change positions, you must present them to the sim
   in a non colliding state. At least, this is what I recall
   reading in the ode manual.

- This demo could be included in test/ in CVS unstable.

    Bram