[ODE] Find position of geom within composite?

Megan Fox shalinor at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 23:48:53 MST 2005

dGeomGetPosition, when used on a geom which you've linked to a
TransformGeom, is going to give you the relative coordinates from the
body's center.  That is, you're getting the object-space coordinates,
the local coordinates.

To get the world-space coordinates, you just need to transform the
coordinates by your object's world transform.

... unless I'm completely misunderstanding what you're doing?

On 11/10/05, Keith Wiley <kwiley at cs.unm.edu> wrote:
> I am compositing geoms into complex unions, ala the test_boxstack
> example.  However, I would like to be able to find the position of
> one geom within the composite at a later time, after the composite
> shape may have been moved around.  I tried using dGeomGetPosition().
> This is the function that I use to draw each geom in the compsite, so
> I figured it would give a unique position for each geom, but it
> appears that compositing "resets" each geom's position to the center
> of mass of the entire composited object.  Can I find the position of
> a specific geom within a composited object?
>
> Thanks.

-Megan Fox
Lead Developer, Elium Project
http://www.elium.tk