[ODE] ODE, Mac, X11 display woes

Robin Harper rharper2 at bigpond.net.au
Thu Nov 10 02:15:09 MST 2005

I am no expert, but I had a similar problem (not a carbon app but just a c++
app in xcode). The first step I did was to switch off ZeroLink (if you
highlight the project in the project window (sorry I don't really know the
real names for these things, but it the top file in the Group&Files pane,
which sits above say the source files and click the info button, choose the
Build frame and deselect ZeroLink now close the options and build and you
will have a huge number of linking errors - all the things that xcode cant
find and failed to link against (but Zerolink delayed you finding until you
use them in the program).

So the next step (and you probably didn't need to unselect zerolink but its
the way I did it) is then to add in the Libraries, I did this in the "Other
Linker Flags" box in the build menu option (the one where you zapped zero
link).

This is what I used

/PATHTOODE/ode-0.5/lib/libode.a /PATHTOODE/ode-0.5/lib/libdrawstuff.a
-L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11 -lGL -lGLU -lm

Where PATHTOODE is err the path to ode (i.e. Where you have built libode.a
and libdrawstuff.a) and /usr/X11R6/lib is where the X11 GL and GLU libraries
are (installed from the Developer SDK supplied by apple).

Sorry its all a bit vague.

Hope it helps.

Robin

Oh and if you get a cant open x window error when you are running it, you
need to make sure that you have the x11 server started AND then slect the
name of the executable from the Gropus and Files List, click info button,
click arguments tab and then set an environment variable for display, for my
system I use DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 (thank to szymczk at macosxhints for that
one!)