[ODE] collision mesh

Brad Hittle bhittle at osc.edu
Tue Nov 8 15:12:04 MST 2005

Hi Everyone,

The program I'm writing is a virtual environment where you view the
world through a head mount display, and you have a wand that interacts
with the environment.  What I'm working towards is a dynamic
environment that you can add primitives (box, sphere, etc) and interact
with these dynamically in the room.  I'm using Delta3D, which has a
layer for dynamic objects.  What we have right now is the ability to
spawn boxes/spheres/etc and these interact properly with everything in
the room.

The problem that I've run into is some of the files we have loaded up
allow for walls, floor, ceiling to be split apart and moved.  This is a
problem because the room only has one single body id assigned to it and
the entire scene is used as a collision mesh.  Right now, I can move
different parts of the room still within the room and the dynamics works
perfectly.  If I move the floor to far outside of the initial starting
room mesh, then all the objects fall through the floor.

My question is how does ode interpret a collision mesh?  Does it consider
all the points are for a single 'closed' mesh, or can a collision mesh
be a collection of separate 'closed' meshes?

I hope my questions clear enough, thanks for the help!

-brad