[ODE] ODE for cloth

R. Frazier rtdoger at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 20:28:06 MST 2005

Thanks, I looked through the ODE docs, but all I could find was
dJointCreateBall().
I'm guessing ODE doesn't explicitly offer this type of point distance joint.
Can ODE's ball-and-socket joint be modified this way?

>From: "Jon Watte (ODE)" <hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org>
>To: "R. Frazier" <rtdoger at hotmail.com>
>CC: uchimata at axelero.hu,  ode at q12.org
>Subject: Re: [ODE] ODE for cloth
>Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 17:14:55 -0800
>

>>I have a question though.  If you wanted to create a simple rectangular
>>cloth-like network of springs, how would you do this in ODE?  Would you
>>insert a body at each mesh vertex and insert a slider joint at each mesh
>>edge?
>
>A slider joint isn't good enough, because it restricts movement to a single
>degree of freedom. You actually want something like a ball-and-socket joint
>with a flexible position limit -- also known as a "point distance joint".
>
>Cheers,
>
>			/ h+

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
e-mail and attachments.
first two months FREE*.