[ODE] Latest Commit

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Nov 1 18:12:07 MST 2005

> To name the source-level debuggers that have a gui and support c++,
> use ddd with gdb or xxgdb with gdb -- that's if you want to trace

I'm sorry: I said DO NOT USE GDB, because I've already tried the
wrappers and they all suck, because they all use GDB.

Anything that uses GDB suffers the GDB problems, which include but are
not limited to very slow single-stepping, slow printing of stack frame
locals, piss-poor handling of wchar_t strings, and random crashing when
using "set print obj on".

 > the truth is I rarely use it because for tracing through program
 > execution something needs to be really wrong.

That sounds like a poor software engineering choice, possibly forced
upon you by crappy tools? Let me explain: When I write code, I put a
breakpoint right next to the new code, each time. When I first hit that
code, I trace through it, just to verify that the control flow and data
management is what I expected it to be. You wouldn't believe how many
stupid bugs I find in a minute this way; stupid bugs that would have
taken much longer if I had only run into their side effects.

 > Windows is probably here to stay, and so is Linux.  Perhaps a good
 > constructive thing to come out of our discussion is that ODE should
run on
 > both.  Having compiled most of my programs for both platfoms I've
 > noticed that the two compilers often complain about different things
 > thus compiling with both would make the code more solid.

That already happens. The current rant is against the notion that
autotools would make ODE better, or even cause more contribution to ODE
source code. My argument is that it would do nothing of the sort in net
aggregate effect.

Cheers,

			/ h+