[ODE] Simulation Terminating

Paul Kinnane pkinnane at internode.on.net
Tue Nov 22 19:18:31 MST 2005

Hi

I have written a plug-in for a 3d application which uses ODE.  On very,
very rare occasions, when the 3d scene is being simulated within the 3d
app, the simulation stops.  The interface between ODE and the 3d app is
python (PyODE) - and it is actually the python process that is
terminating (due to an unknown error in ODE).  Under this environment I
can't run ODE in a debugger, so this problem is tricky to track down.
The python process terminates during the call to dWorldQuickStep.  The
3d app is unstable after the ODE problem, and exiting the 3d app gives
the following error:
"invalid operation for locked space
(C:\ode-0.5\ode\src\collision_space.cpp:694)"

The simulation stopping only happens in very specific circumstances -
always relating to collisions.  See
http://www.users.on.net/~pkinnane/CoilProblem.jpg - the simulation
terminates at this frame once all the balls land on the coil.  I believe
the balls are getting stuck in the coil, causing the problem.  The coil
is a trimesh.  In general, the higher the resolution of the trimesh -
the more frequent the problem.

Is it possible that ODE is running out of stack space?
Are there any ODE compile parameters that I can change that may assist?

I'm using Windows, Single Precision, OPCODE.

Thanks for any assistance given.

Paul