[ODE] Simple collision detection use ODE

Zulfiqar Malik Zulfiqar.Malik at itrango.com
Fri May 20 15:22:41 MST 2005

Hi everyone,

We are using ODE for rigid body dynamics. However, after integrating all
that in our engine (code named Helios v2.0) we wanted to get rid of our
old player - world collision detection system (using simple AABBs), and
make a more unified physics system in which everything (including simple
player-world collision detection) is done using ODE. For that purpose we
started prototyping using capped cylinder. However, one of the major
problems that we are having right now is when a player is moving at
speeds above normal (assume quake3 player speed with haste :) ), the
cylinder submerges (slightly) into the wall and then comes out. As a
consequence repeated collision with even a flat wall produces jittering!

Can someone help me out in this regard. On top of that, has anyone
implemented a simple, stable collision detection system using ODE and
whether ODE is suitable for this purpose or not? My apologies if there
are any previous threads addressing this issue, if someone has older
references that might be helpful, they are most welcome.

Regards,
Zulfiqar Inayat Malik.