[ODE] problems with amotors and ball joints

Piotr Obrzut piotr_obrzut at o2.pl
Tue May 10 10:28:55 MST 2005

Hi,

9 maja 2005 (22:07:00) Piotr wrote:

PO> Hi,

PO>    I have little problem with joints setup (ball + amotor) for my model driven by
PO>    animation: ball joints constraint them too much and they deform it
PO>    sometimes (i.e. legs become much thinner when kicking). I think it
PO>    is b/c of that in animation bones isn't only rotated (but the are
PO>    comming apart a bit in many cases).

PO>    1. My question is: should I use AMotors + LMotors so I can allow on
PO>    litle errors and still constraint angles?

PO>    When 1. is yes: as I understand LMotors can't be found in ODE
PO>    cvs repository, so I should manualy apply the patch posted on this
PO>    list before?

here is what I meant by "loosing shape":
http://zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl/~obi1/with_joints.avi

and here is proper situation:
http://zeus.polsl.gliwice.pl/~obi1/better.avi

<Why I need joints when my model is animated>

I was wondering about turning joints off on the time of animation but
this will couse several problems with what I want to do after
collisions: I was planing to use forces aplied by joints to attached
bodies for reducing the weight of animation on the hited body and all
involved bodies. I think that this could be hard to figure out by
myself which bodies are afected by collision and then attach proper
joints to them (so I will use joints only for ragdoll).

</Why I need joints when my model is animated>

--
greetings,
 Piotr Obrzut