[ODE] patches/unstable etc...

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Thu Jun 30 13:54:23 MST 2005

Jaroslav Sinecky wrote:
> still I have problems geting the diffs in the correct format out of CVS. I
> was playing with "cvs diff" which doesn't seem to output the same format as
> the ones that I've seen around.

'[cvs] diff -u' is the format that most people prefer because they're
generally much easier to read, though either format will suffice
for applying as a patch.

 > I couldn't make it to give me diff between
> head and my local version. Can some show how to do that?

'cvs diff -u' should nicely isolate the differences between
the last version you got from CVS (not necessarily head, unless
you updated recently) and your local version.

> Also I was trying external diff.exe but couldn't get the correct format and
> get lost in the options.

The only options that most people will ever need are:
-u: use the diff format that people like to read
-r: recursive diff between two directories (rather than two files)

Other sometimes-useful options are:
-P: 'create' any new files as part of patch
That's about it really...

> Maybe it would be useful to have all these informations on Wiki page (maybe
> in HowToHaveYourPatchesApplied section).

Good idea... someone with mad wiki skillz might want to do it. :)

--adam
Adam D. Moss   -   adam at gimp.org