[ODE] Actuated arm get stuck into static entities (solved, possible ODE or doc bug?)

Tanguy Fautre tanguy.fautre at spaceapplications.com
Tue Jun 14 14:52:47 MST 2005

I found the problem.

In the servo controller routine, I'm calling dBodyGetJoint() to get the
reference to the actuated hinge joint. The problem is that the index of
this hinge joint varies, depending on the total number of joint attached
to the body.

Here is what I would have expected:

dBodyGetJoint(Body, 0) -> return the 1st attached joint
dBodyGetJoint(Body, 1) -> return the 2nd attached joint
dBodyGetJoint(Body, n) -> return the (n + 1)th attached joint

But from what I can test, it seems the real behaviour is something more
like:

dBodyGetJoint(Body, 0) -> return the last attached joint
dBodyGetJoint(Body, n) -> return the (total - n - 1)th attached joint

Thus, to get the hinge (first attached) joint, I have to do
     dBodyGetJoint(Body, dBodyGetNumJoints(Body) - 1)
instead of
     dBodyGetJoint(Body, 0)

I looked again through the documentation, but I'm not finding any
reference to the indices numbering scheme (am I overlooking a particular
section?). So I don't know what's the intended behaviour.

Regards,

Tanguy