[ODE] Better way to find 'Desired Velocity'

Andrew Schroeder schroe2a at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 16:16:45 MST 2005

I'm thinking that the equation

DesiredVelocity = Error * Gain

is actually NOT a simple P-Gain situation that you are saying I should
start with.  I think this because the Input (Error) is in POSITION,
and the output is in VELOCITY, thus with the above equation we
actually set an Integrated Controller, we have a simple I-Gain,
instead of the recommended P-Gain.
Is my thinking correct on this? If so is there a way to create a
simple P-Gain like you suggest without setting the position directly?
(obviously I don't want to set the position of my ode bodies directly)

If my setpoint was a velocity then I would say the equation was a
P-Gain, but it's a position.