[ODE] Terrain collision.

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 25 08:56:26 MST 2005

I adapted ode to have a massive, dynamically loading world.  I broke it
into squares of about 2000x2000m each.  Each square had its own trimesh
geom, as well as all the entities in that region.

Also, each region had its own units, with the origin at the square's
centre.  This technique could be used for pretty much any sized world.
Collisions across boundaries were done by translating the target object
into the new square's space (e.g. teleporting it 2000 units away,
testing, then teleporting 2000 units back) - that aspect needed a bit
more work to get correct results, so there were glitches going across
square boundaries.

The hard part is really not ode, its the rest of the game.  Once you've
got the proper partioning framework (plus network code etc), plugging
ode in shouldn't be too bad.

Geoff