[ODE] Re: ODE (and mainly OPCODE) for 64bits

Frederic Marmond zebarbuc at free.fr
Thu Jan 20 14:30:32 MST 2005

Ok,
that's what I was wondering.

But maybe it would be a good compromize, even in speed:
- this would occurs ONLY when on a 64bits system (32bits system keep
4bytes/pointers, unchanged)
- those systems are faster than 32bits ones
=> so, dispite of the 8 bytes/pointers waste, it may be faster to use opcode in
a 64bits than in a 32bits
=> it will allow to compile the entire application in 64bits, and so, the
general performances will be greater

making a kind of basepointer (64bits) + offset (32bits) won't work in a 64bits
system, as all memory segments may be mapped everywhere within the 64bits
space.
I haven't look deep into opcode, so, I may be wrong, and you allocate memory by
yourself (the base+offset may work if you allocate all your needed memory at
once, and you are sure that the segment fits in a 32bits space (I believe it
fits! ;)))

Fred

--
Fred Marmond