[ODE] Material and triangle index

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Sat Jan 15 17:24:28 MST 2005

I believe a single index for each geom in the contact structure would be
best - thus, two integers.  This would be the triangle index for
trimeshes, and the "side" for the other primitives (for boxes, it would
be a number from 0 to 5).  Using this information, we can do whatever we
want.  As soon as we discard this and instead return an ode-specific
"material", we lose generality.

Materials are really an app side concept.  We already have the userdata
pointer for each geom that is very capable of holding whatever app
specific data we would ever need.  If its a int, so be it.  Or it could
be a complex struct with sound information, bump or whatever.  The fact
that we are talking about making a "material" into a void* indicates
that we are converging back to the userdata concept, which we already
have now!

As pointed out, we may want one material associated with a box geom.
However we may want surface properties depending on the side of a box
that was hit.  Both of these can be dealt with by examining the geom
(and its userdata) and the "side" index.  The concept of a single
material would fail here.  Similarly the implementation of trimesh
materials can be done in a number of ways.  In all cases, it is simple
to go from the "side" index to the material on the app side, but
difficult if the inappropriate implemenation is already integrated with
ode itself.

Geoff