[ODE] Convex Volume Geom

Rodrigo Hernandez kwizatz at aeongames.com
Wed Dec 21 21:58:06 MST 2005

ode at erwincoumans.com wrote:

>For games GJK is a good solution in my experience. Did you know that even
>commercial engines succesfully use GJK for their convex collision detection?
>
>Erwin

I dont want to sound defiant, because I am not, but which games? I am
curious because I would like to check them out and see how they do
perform, the only instance where I have seen GJK related to a game was
on the Torque Game Engine code, later I discovered that the GJK code in
it wasnt even being used, in fact I was pretty much set on getting GJK
to work, since it represents the silver bullet for ALL convex shapes,
but I gave up when a) found myself adding too many patches to the
algorithm for numerical instability contingency and b) couldn't find any
games which actually claim to use a form of GJK.

All in all, it seems to me that the main advantage for GJK is the fact
that it works on any convex shape colliding against any convex shape, it
doesn't really perform any faster or better than using specific
algorithms for specific shapes like ODE does, specially if you also need
penetration depth or continuous collision detection.

This of course, is just my opinion.