[ODE] Body fixed path constraint

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Thu Dec 15 16:38:53 MST 2005

It sounds like you want a kinematic body, rather than just a joint.

ODE doesn't have pure kinematic bodies, although there are ways of
faking it.

The question is: do you care about the body-ness at all? Will you want
the character to not be able to walk through walls, even if that's what
the mocap says? If so, you should probably build a controller system,
either with amotors and stoppered slider joints, or "manually" with
forces and torques. Feed in the maximal torques and forces you would
want to attempt to use to follow the animation, and feed in the target
angles and positions, and let the solver solve it.

If you want your character to follow the mocap, period, then you can
remove the bodies entirely, and just use body-less geoms that you move
through the world based on the mocap data.

Cheers,

			/ h+