[ODE] Re: Different simulation results with different versions of Visual C++?

Jon Watte (ODE) hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Mon Aug 15 09:38:17 MST 2005

You want to round in binary, not in decimal. The powf() function is both
slow and (sometimes) inexact. Convert to some form of fixed point and
back; something like:

float round( float number ) {
   if( number > 32767 ) return 32767;
   if( number < -32767 ) return -32767;
   int i = (int)(number*65536);
   return (float)i/65536.f;
}

You may need to adjust the precision of your fixed-point values based on
what kind of quantities you're dealing with, if values > 30000 are
commonly allowed in your system.

(btw: passing float by value is usually faster than by reference)

Also make sure that the rounding policy is set the same on the PowerPC
and the x86 (round-towards-zero, round-to-even, etc). You need to do
this by setting the CPU control bits, typically.

Also, make sure you synchronize the random number generators between the
two instances, and that you use the same internal precision for both
CPUs. If the PowerPC has native float calculations (separate from double
precision) then you need to set the x86 FPU mode to 23-bit mantissa to
match.

Evenso, it's not clear that you'll be able to always get exact matches.
Even if you use the same compiler (say, gcc) on both machines, the CPUs
just are different in lots of little ways. If you're doing game
recording and playback, you'll probably do well to store keyframes every
so often.

Cheers,

                     / h+