[ODE] unit of masses, sizes - LCP internal error

Matthias Baas baas at ira.uka.de
Mon Aug 1 19:40:13 MST 2005

Ramona Koch wrote:
> I've got a very simple question. Which mass unit is expected by
> dBodySetMass? Should I use gramme or kilogram or something else? For
> the  sizes I use meter, but maybe its better to use centimeter.
>
> Which units are the best working one?

This has already been asked a lot of times. But surprisingly, it's not
in the FAQ. I just wanted to add it to the Wiki, but the page is
read-only (even after I tried to log in)... I wanted to add the
following item to the "Using ODE" section in the FAQ, can anybody with
write access please add it?

Q: What mass, length and time units do I have to use?

A: ODE does not make any assumptions about units, it just computes
solutions to mathematical equations. This means you can choose whatever
units you like. But be consistent! If you choose meter, kg and seconds
as units, the units of velocity, force, etc. are also determined (i.e.
m/s, kg*m/s^2 = N, etc.).
Also check out the section "How To Make Good Simulations" in the ODE
manual, especially the last point that contains the "keep lengths and
masses around 1" advice.

- Matthias -