[ODE] An OpenSource ODE Solver implementation

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Fri Apr 29 16:12:08 MST 2005

> Does everyone compile custom versions of ode.lib if they
> don't want user32.dll to be involved or is there some make file
> configuration that'll skip this dependancy?

For 99.9% of all software, a dependency on user32.dll just
isn't a problem. I'm quite surprised that this would be a problem
for your 3D software package -- which package is it?

> initialization; so - what are the slowest functions? the dWorldCreate()?
> the dHashSpaceCreate()? or is it defining the objects which is slow?  It

Defining the objects is slow. Updating the objects isn't as slow.
Collission has the potential of being very slow, and the solver itself
might take some CPU.

I would keep the objects around, and update them each step, rather than
re-creating from scratch. If you notice there are new objects, or some
objects have gone away since last time, then apply that delta to your
scene. Also, if objects move, then you have the choice of trying to
move them yourself, or using forces to try and make the objects go where
they were moved to.

Cheers,

			/ h+