Pierre Terdiman pierre.terdiman at novodex.com
Tue Apr 19 17:50:38 MST 2005

Unless I'm missing something FreeSOLID == Solid 2.0.

- for arbitrary mesh stuff (primitive-vs-mesh, mesh-vs-mesh) Opcode is

- for convex meshes it gives you the distance between two objects using GJK

- ...which is useless in a penetration-depth-based engine like ODE. It
doesn't give you a penetration vector (this is only available in Solid 3.5)

And then, even with Solid 3.5 :

- the EPA algorithm out there sometimes fails and makes the sim explode

- when it doesn't, it's still just a single vector, not enough to generate
stable simulations (remember the early box-box code in ODE ?)

- so you still need something else on top of that, to compute a correct
contact manifold out of the penetration vector

All in all.... well, good luck :)

- Pierre