[ODE] Angular velocity

Yefei He yhe at nads-sc.uiowa.edu
Thu Apr 14 12:22:37 MST 2005

Hi,

    I think Left handed rule explains my problem. So this means a positive
angle rotates the object clockwise since rotation is in a left-handed
coordinate system. My problem is then, how are the angles in the function
dRFromEulerAngles( R, phi, theta, psi ) interpreted? I use it to set the
rotation angles. I did a comparison of this to dRFromAxisAngle( R, ax, ay,
az, angle ). And I noticed the differences in the rotation matrix that
they generate:

    dRFromEulerAngles( R, a, 0, 0 )
    1       0       0
    0    cos(a)  sin(a)
    0   -sin(a)  cos(a)

    dRFromEulerAngles( R, 0, a, 0 )
 cos(a)     0   -sin(a)
    0       1       0
 sin(a)     0    cos(a)

    dRFromEulerAngles( R, 0, 0, a )
 cos(a)  sin(a)     0
-sin(a)  cos(a)     0
    0       0       1

and
    dRFromAxisAngle( R, 1, 0, 0, a )
    1       0       0
    0    cos(a) -sin(a)
    0    sin(a)  cos(a)

    dRFromAxisAngle( R, 0, 1, 0, a )
 cos(a)     0    sin(a)
    0       1       0
-sin(a)     0    cos(a)

    dRFromAxisAngle( R, 0, 0, 1, a )
 cos(a) -sin(a)     0
 sin(a)  cos(a)     0
    0       0       1

    That means Euler angles need to be negated to match the results of
rotation around x, y, or z axis. The discrepancy between Euler angles
and angular velocity is the same. My next question is then, is there a
reason why Euler angles are interpreted this way in ODE? I thought
in the left-handed system, A positive Euler angle would also mean a
clockwise rotation around axis?

    Yefei