[ODE] What is the best unit

Allan Simonsen Simonsen at rocketmail.com
Mon Apr 11 04:57:12 MST 2005

Hi, Gao Yang;

because of numerical stability, try to balance things
up so that most units, mass-rations, etc, stay around
1.00; maybe 1.7 units would be good?

We also did some simulation of a character as a capped
cylinder for one of our games. Because players have
very specific expectations in terms of character
control (instant speedup / slow down, turning, etc),
you're going to end up hacking a bit to get a
character control module that feels good.

We ended up with a light-mass character object, with
high friction and high impulse forces being generated
when the player presses any keys. We initially used a
constraint to keep our capped cylinder from falling
over, but found that sufficiently large forces (like
falling of a cliff onto a sharp, interpenetrating
edge), would break the constraint (this was with
Renderware's Karma). As a fix (*cough..hack*) for
that, we ended up resetting the player's rotation
matrix each frame (get the position and Y axis
rotation, generate a new rotation matrix, translate by
position, set new matrix). It worked pretty well..

There was a talk at GDC 2 years ago, at the physics
round-table, where two of the Havok guys was talking
about having built a custom player controller for
1st/3rd person characters. It was built around a
particle, with a contract generating cylinder round
it. Has anyone experimented with something like that?

Best of luck,
Allan Simonsen

Allan Simonsen                    simonsen at rocketmail.com
ICQ# 16606984