[ODE] Bug or feature?

Rodrigo Hernandez kwizatz at aeongames.com
Fri Apr 8 08:54:35 MST 2005

Yeah, I looked at the FAQ after I posted, felt kind of silly for not
RTMF, though I did try to find some info on the programming guide.

The FAQ reads:

Q Why is dVector3 the same size as dVector4? Why is a dMatrix not 3x3 ?

A For making it SIMD friendly. i.e 16 byte aligned (there is no SIMD
code in there right now, but there may be in the future).

to which I thought, isnt it rather that the variable location must be on
a 16 byte alligned memory location? (IE float x; if(&x%16==0)
fprintf(stdout,"X is 16 byte aligned\n"); )

Like I said before I have written an inline asm matrix multiplication
function using SSE and I was under the impression that all it really
took was to do this:

#ifdef __GNUC__
#define ALIGN16 __attribute__ ((aligned (16)))
#elif _MSC_VER
#define ALIGN16 __declspec(align(16))
#else
#define ALIGN16
#endif

ALIGN16 float vector[3];

Now, I did try turning dVector3 into a real Vector[3], seems like that
extra padding is being used for something else other than padding, I
find this to be a bug, since, well if you're going to use that extra
padding, why not use dVector4 if that is what you mean? using dVector3
is missleading I think.

So what do you guys think?