[ODE] Possible solution to unstable rotating bodies problem

Gary R. Van Sickle g.r.vansickle at worldnet.att.net
Wed Apr 6 17:59:33 MST 2005

> > Right, but Tyler's solution works in all scenarios,
> including when you
> > choose a dampening factor that doesn't catch everything.
> Having ODE
> > crash-proof on this issue would be a good idea IMO.
>
> It does add a noticeable cost in space and speed per body.

What price do we place on the universe not exploding? ;-)

Seriously, these sort of arguments really have no truck with me (i.e. "It
would make things correct in the sense of the program not crashing, but
you'd need an extra bit and an if-then-else for every object which would
slow things down by 0.0001%, so let's just ignore it.").

Universe exploding == not acceptable.  A tiny bit slower and/or more space
== small price to pay if it keeps the universe from exploding.  Worst case
== if it bothers somebody that much, make it #ifdef-able.  But again,
without some code this is all fairly pointless discussion regardless.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle