[ODE] Max Angular Velocity

Geoff Carlton gcarlton at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 29 18:02:53 MST 2004

I get the same problem, at least with explosions.  To fix it, have my
own AddForceAtPos(), which applies the force and torque as per ode
except with two hacks:
  1.) I scale down the torque by a constant amount.
  2.) I cap the effective distance from object to force point when
applying the torque.  The distance is capped to the object's bounding
radius.

This allows an explosion effect that has a very large effect distance,
without that causing a huge torque on the effected objects.  In general
it seems to make some sense because in an explosion effect I'd imagine
there is a force gradient, and that is what causes the torque.

I'm curious to see if anybody else has a better solution for this sort
of pressure gradient effect (one that isn't a complete hack, that is).

Geoff