[ODE] continuous forces w/ constant step size

Tyler Streeter tylerstreeter at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 17 16:58:23 MST 2004

> > > It's OK to apply input forces less often on a
> slow
> > > machine.  They won't be
> > > as "valid," but your player doesn't have much
> choice
> > > since s/he is reacting
> > > to a slow and jerky portrayal of the game state.
> > > That's the problem with
> > > owning a slow machine. :)
> > >

> > That's a good point.  Essentially, you still need
> > decent machine to get good results.  ...but I
> think
> > there are some things I can do to make the
> situation a
> > little better (namely, storing force events and
> > applying them every time step until they expire).
>
> Here's the problem with that: where are you going to
> apply the subsequent
> force events after the first?  If a given spot where
> you were planning to
> apply time-delayed force events is on a moveable
> object, the object probably
> won't be there anymore!

I was planning on having two force options: a timed
force event (pass in a force vector and time value),
and a set of start/stop events.  Each would be stored
in some queue and reapplied before every time step.
And each force event would track which object(s) it
applies to.  So I guess I'm assuming that the force
would be keep being applied to the same object, even
if it's moving.

> I doubt those sorts of measures will be necessary;
> I've never heard of any
> commercial games having to do stuff like that.  But
> if you're doing
> something outside the normal envelope, then yeah,
> maybe so.

Ya, it may not be necessary.  Queueing up force events
might actually slow things down too much.  What I'm
making is not a game but a layer on top of ODE to make
the interface simpler.  I'm just trying to think of
all possible problems before they happen.

Thanks for your advice.

Tyler