[ODE] Hinge2

Arturo Colorado Garín acolorado at telefonica.net
Wed Oct 20 19:15:21 MST 2004

> hi all...
>
> just curious... has anyone got a successfull ODE's hinge2 joint
> implementation (for 4-wheel car sim)?
> i've been fighting wheel bending problem for three month now..  finally i
> had a working implementation, but its a hack based on hinge2 joint...
>
> basically i still want the internal ODE hinge2... but...

I'm quite happy with my 4-wheel car, It has a pretty realistic suspension.
Although I haven't done too much testing yet.

It still has a problem though: wheel suspension can compress/stretch too
much, so wheels can reach incorrect positions (they can even move away from
their translation axis). This happens when a big force is applied to the
wheels (for example, when the car falls on its wheels from a high altitude).

Because of this, maybe I'll end up doing my own custom hinge2-joint
implementation, although I would like to stick to the official ODE
implementation, too.

--Arturo.