[ODE] Stability of ODE in NovodeX Rocket...

james at 6msoft.com james at 6msoft.com
Tue Oct 19 15:48:35 MST 2004

"If I understand you right, you suggest it's better to recompile ODEPSCL
using the latest source tree from CVS? Or from where do these mentioned
features (auto-dampenig, "good" auto-sleep) come?"

You should be able to download the modified ODE source from which ODEPSCL
comes from, but ODEPSCL should still compile with the default source. I
would suggest someone add the features to the main ODE depot.

"BTW, I'm also wondering about some of the mentioned limitations:
For sample: "Friction ramp – No material support yet in ODE version, but it
runs". Why isn't there "material support"?"

It wouldn't take a huge ammount of work to add basic material support to
ODEPSCL, and as mr watte pointed out, its more of a proof of concept then
a rock solid implementation.

"Does anyone have some ideas why ODE seems to be so unstable in contrast to
NovodeX? Perhaps we can discuss some (missing?) features of the ODE solver
core which would improve general ODE system stability?"

A lot of it is todo with the lack of material support. Increasing the
solver count in QuickStep might help too.

-James