[ODE] Questions about wheel slip and damping

Yizhen Zhang zhangyizhen at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 12 15:39:57 MST 2004

Hi, Michael,

Thanks a lot for your reply. But when I also set the
velocity for the rear wheels, it didn't seem to help
at all. Maybe the problem is with the hinge joint I
used for the wheels. Since after I changed the hinge
joints to hinge-2 joints for the wheels, the rear
wheels do not slip any more in steady state, and I
don't have to set velocity for them. However, I am
still wondering how to simulate and control a small
percentage of wheel slip during normal driving
conditions.

I also noticed that, even with the hinge-2 joints
model, if the friction coef mu is not set to dInfinity
(say 0.9) and the torque is set to more than
corresponding maximum friction/adhesion force the
ground can provide, the driving wheels will reach the
set velocity in 1 timestep, which means huge wheel
slip here. I am not sure if this is realistic.

Best regards,
Yizhen