[ODE] friction and restitution

Dimitris Papavasiliou jimmyp at hal.csd.auth.gr
Sun Oct 3 13:51:23 MST 2004

On Sunday 03 October 2004 07:43, Megan Fox wrote:
> Create a custom table that contains all of these frictions, make a
> custom callback that checks this table based on the material types of
> the two colliding objects, and you're done.
>
> Of course ODE doesn't have any table like this, but you can build one
> yourself without any trouble at all - as for finding the friction
> values, find a college Physics book, they often contain common
> friction coefficients for various material pairs.

If the total number of materials in your world is relatively small and fixed
then such a table won't be a problem since it'll b easy to look up and to
define. But since any number of bodies can be defined in my case this table
would be both difficult to store and to look up quickly and even to fill in
(the user would have to supply coefficients for each material pair defined).
So although this is the straightforward solution, I'm trying to avoid it.

Dimitris