[ODE] Re: Car stability with lowered centre of mass leads to problems when rolling

Pete Baron sibaroni at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 2 01:40:38 MST 2004

Hi Jim,

I've been playing with driving simulations for a while now (though not as
long as some of the folks here!) and one thing that I've always wanted to
add to my car models is 'active suspension'.  Many performance cars now
feature this and given the kind of speed we tend to drive in simulations,
and the limited control inputs we're normally given, it seems like an
essential addition.
To simulate this should be fairly easy - simply measure the displacement of
all four wheels from their neutral position along the vertical axis, average
it, and add a force to push each wheel towards the average offset using the
suspension (with joint motors).  (It seems like you might need to add a
slider joint to each wheel to achieve this, but maybe clever use of the
hinge2 can gain the same effect).
The effect of this change would be that when the car body starts to roll due
to centrifugal (centripetal?) forces, the outside wheels suspension would
push harder and attempt to keep the car level.  Yet when the car lands after
a jump or bump, the suspension is still able to absorb the shock and the car
will ride down reasonably level until it bottoms out and springs back up.
I'm not sure but I vaguely recall reading an article about sports cars years
before the advent of the new hydraulic active suspension systems which
talked about a way of linking diagonally opposite wheels with chains to
achieve a similar result.

Let me know if you use this idea and get it working... like I say, I've been
thinking about it for ages and just haven't managed to find the time to try
it!

cheers,

Pete Baron
sibaroni at hotmail.com