[ODE] AutoDisable issue?

Joe Ante joe at uti.is
Mon May 24 17:09:11 MST 2004

> I like getting callbacks for static-static collisions (some of these
> static geoms might have been placed by hand exactly for probing
> collisions for AI, camera, etc).  However, there's an easy (?) way
> to completely remove static-static collisions from consideration: put
> moving geometry in a different space to static geometry, and only ask
> ODE to test collisions between the static-moving and moving-moving
> spaces.  This is fairly easy if the app does its own autodisable,
> and just a bit harder if you use ODE's autodisable (you'll have
> to crawl all of the world bodies manually each frame looking for
> geoms which have been newly woken or put to sleep, to move them
> into the right space... whereas if you were doing app-level
> autodisable you'd be doing that sort of thing anyway :) ).
Couldn¹t we just add a disable/enable callback function that is called
whenever the enabled state changes?

If it will be accepted into cvs I am more than willing to write the code. I
can put #ifdefs around the testing if that is required by people who fear
the performance penalty.

Russ, will you accept a disable/enable callback function?

Joe Ante