[ODE] ODE & large terrains

ken at spinlink.com ken at spinlink.com
Sat May 22 22:42:07 MST 2004

Hello,
  First of all, ODE is an excellent piece of software, thanks for all the hard work.

  Does anyone have any suggestions for running ODE over a network? I am
currently trying to handle my simulation by running an authoritative version on
the server, and trying to run syncronized versions on each client. I am not
having much luck so far. My intention was to 'correct' the clients when they too
far out of sync with the server using dBodySetPosition / dBodySetQuaternion.
This doesn't seem to be working, however. After a correction, the client's
bodies seem to revert to thier pre-adjustment position. Is this behavior
correct, or am I missing something?

  Setting the positions directly does not seem ideal, so is there a better way
to to sync up two simulations? (This is a game, and precise accuracy is not
particularly important). Is this idea of syncronizing simulations across a
network on the fly even a reasonable approach?

Thanks in advance for any advice.