[ODE] RC-servo modeling

Sergey Kurdakov k15c20 at zelmail.ru
Sat May 15 20:11:21 MST 2004

Hello,

> The question is: do we need to model the bang-bang controller inside
> each servo, which operates on a fine time scale (microseconds?) and
> would be expensive to compute, or can we get by with using the
> built-ins of ODE, while still getting a realistic simulation of an
> RC-servo?

I think that you anyway willneed a build in controller as of timestep from my experience to model control systems it could be
relatvly low.

> We need a realistic model, because we are training articulated robots
> how to walk and we start by training them in simulation, only later
> transferring the learned walking gait to the real robot.  Without a
> realistic simulation, the transfer to the real robot may fail..

you criteria of 'realistic' is somewhat fuzzy :)

but as you will need to transfer simulations  to the real robot - you will need to simulate it's control systems as well as physics
properties. I think ode will not do tricks for you here. and it lacks 'build in' controller 'links'

BTw take a look at library http://www.cours.polymtl.ca/roboop/ maybe it will provide some hintsx

if I have some ideas - I will post them here later.

Regards
Sergey Kurdakov