[ODE] OT: Tumbling

Martin C. Martin martin at metahuman.org
Mon May 3 08:11:14 MST 2004

Russ Smith wrote:

>>When there's no net torque on an object, its angular momentum is
>>conserved.
>
> true.
>
>>The axis it rotates about is constant.  But is it constant
>>in body coordinates, or world coordinates?
>
> the axis of rotation is not constant,

Thanks for the tip Russ.  I had assumed this was like the linear case,
where it reduced to a purely kinematic question, but of course it isn't.
  The angular momentum is constant is world coordinates, but the moment
of inertia is constant in body coords, not world coords.

I read Baraff's tutorial, now I've figured it out.  Thanks.

- Martin