[ODE] Car simulation (with no wheels) - clever ideas needed

Nate W coding at natew.com
Fri Mar 19 09:19:15 MST 2004

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, DjArcas wrote:

> I believe that I can have a low slip1 and high slip2 angle, to
> 'encourage' the car to go forwards, rather than slipping sideways. I'm
> stuck here, however, and the car handles like a hovercraft. Anyone got
> any helpful advice... please?

You might try making both of those very high - the static friction of
rubber on pavement is very high in all directions.  Then reduce slip1 only
when the lateral acceleration reaches some threshold.  Tire-road friction
is rather nonlinear so you'll have to be creative to make it feel right.

I wonder if FMax1/FMax2 parameters (similar to the FMax parameters for
hinges) would provide a reasonable approximation.  Those don't exist
for contact joints, but if they did... ?

--

Nate Waddoups
Redmond WA USA