[ODE] More Newbie Questions

Jon Watte hplus-ode at mindcontrol.org
Tue Jun 29 12:05:59 MST 2004

The way to have static objects is to create Geoms for them,
but connect the geoms to the "0" body (static environment).
You don't need to create a body at all for the fixed parts.
This makes the simulation more efficient, to boot.

For key-framed objects, you must decide on some maximum
force and maximum slop time that you allow. Say, 1000 force
units and 0.1 slop time. Then, when playing back the animation,
you look at where the animation wants you to be in 0.1 seconds,
look at where you are now, calculate what velocity (linear and
angular) you'd need to get where you want to go in the time
indicated, subtract the current velocity, multiply with your
force constant, divide by time step, and out comes the linear
force and angular torque you should apply to the object.

If you try to just position the object using "full kinematics"
then your simulation is likely to be poorly behaved and blow
up quickly.

Cheers,

			/ h+