[ODE] Picking objects

parisy at labri.fr parisy at labri.fr
Sun Jun 27 12:21:26 MST 2004

Hi all,

I would like to be able to pick an object using the mouse,
then to move it around in a realistic fashion (ie, objects
connected to it must follow it, collisions must be performed,
etc).

So, given an expected position P' for the picked object and
its current position P, I suppose I can't just directly change
its position to P' ? I suppose some very stiff spring and damper
system between the mouse pointer (in P') and the controlled
object (in P) would do the trick...

What would be the best tool to design this without breaking the
solver or getting unrealistic animations ? A fixed joint ? Some
AMotor trickery ?

Thanks,
Olivier.