[ODE] Collision Detection ... again

Andrew Cross adjc at 3dgraphics.com
Mon Jun 21 05:10:09 MST 2004

All,

I know that the whole subject of collision detection has probably been
discussed to death at this point, however I am seeing a relatively annoying
problem when {planes or boxes} are collided with {cylinders or boxes}. If
you just drop (say) a cylinder onto a plane it will bounce correctly,
however once it has bounced around a bit and settled down, it starts to
"swim" meaning that the two surfaces can penetrate and seem to move around
certain axis's. This is somewhat hard to describe, but I have uploaded a
short movie that shows this problem on :
http://www.3dgraphics.com/~deadline/CollisionProblem.wmv
This shows the collision of a capped cylinder with a plane.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andrew