[ODE] helicopter simulator (was: to many joints...)

Nate W coding at natew.com
Sun Jul 18 14:42:31 MST 2004

A couple of thoughts about heli simulations...

First, if attaching the joints to the helicopter causes the helicopter to
remain fixed in place, double-check all of the parameters to dJointAttach
and make sure you are not accidentally attaching the helicopter's main
body to a null body.

Second, there's a very informative series of articles on the web about
helicopter physics by a guy named Colin S Mill (or Mills).  I don't have
the URL handy but Google should take you there.  He wrote a great
simulator for radio controlled helicopters, IMO it still has the best
implementation of physics.

That's said, I did some experimentation with a heli simulator (back before
I discovered ODE) and I think that a reasonably control response could be
had just by tweaking the heli's angular acceleration and maximum angular
velocity on each axis.  You'd probably want to go beyond that and into
rotor blade dynamics eventually but it could be a good way to get started.