[ODE] Pitch and roll euler angles

luigi at realityslip.com luigi at realityslip.com
Sat Jul 17 20:21:16 MST 2004

Hi,

I'm working on a racing game which will run on a motion simulator with full 360
degrees of motion for pitch and roll (no yaw).  The simulator requires pitch
and roll angles (in degrees) and angular velocity (in degrees for each axis).
I've been working on extracting continuous pitch and roll angles from the body
(based on angular velocity) yet I can't get it quite right.  I was hoping
someone here may have a suggestion of how to do this or could spot what I'm
doing wrong.

So far I've tried two approaches.  The first is to integrate angular velocities.
 However, it seems like angular velocity is simply a vector defining the
rotation axis.  The magnitude of the angular velocity vector defines the angles
(or radians) per second.  I've attempted to break this off into local (body)
axis rotation rates and integrate those yet the results are not consistant (I'm
not sure if I'm getting rotation rates correctly).

The other approach, using the orientation quaternion and the angular velocity, I
tried was based on some literature I found online at
http://www.resonancepub.com/quaterni.htm (end of the page).

Extracting pitch and roll from the body quaternion/matrix cannot work because
the pitch and roll need to be continuous with the angular velocity (there would
be too many ambigious cases).